My Top DOs and DON'Ts
Ten years of trial and error has taught me a lot of things that one should do, and more importantly, what not to do when vermicomposting indoors.
My list of top DOs and DON'Ts :
- If your household has a diet that is even reasonably rich in fresh fruits & vegetables, start with a minimum of 1 pound of worms.
- When it comes to choosing an indoor vermicomposter, plastic is by far the best choice. Wood is not a suitable or recommended material when composting indoors, particularly cedar or pressure treated wood.
- DO NOT overfeed.
- ALWAYS bury your fresh food scraps.
- Avoid meat and dairy products (when composting indoors).
- NEVER introduce food scraps that have attracted fruit flies. The Golden Fruit Fly Rule .. what goes in is most definitely going to come out, and, in greater numbers!